10 20 40 60 cm
mittakaava < 20 cm
© Copyright: Images:
www.scandfish.com, Lauri Urho, Petri Savola (Uudenmaan ympäristökekskus), Jouko Lehmuskallio. All rights reserved.
- Family: Carps and minnows – Cyprinidae
- Similar species: none in Finland
- Size: 9–13 cm.
- Appearance: The diminutive gudgeon is quite different in appearance from any other of Finland’s cyprinids. A typical bottom-dweller, it has a long, slender body, eyes close to top of head, and mouth inferior. One barbel each side at back of mouth. Scales large, with 40–45 along lateral line.
- Colouring: Back olive-green, sides silvery with a row of 6-12 dark blotches. Fins yellowish with dark spots.
- Reproduction: Spawns between end of May and August in shallow flowing water. Lake-dwelling gudgeon move into streams to spawn.
- Food: Small bottom invertebrates and decaying vegetation.
- Distribution and habitat: Occurs in the rivers Vantaanjoki, Porvoonjoki, Urpalanjoki, Paimionjoki, Aurajoki, Uskelanjoki and Kokemäenjoki and in the sea off their estuaries. Also present in several lakes. Gudgeon prefer slow-flowing, often muddy streams and lakes.